It is important to think about the maintenance, condition, and appearance of your windows. You might be wondering whether the cost of replacing your windows is actually worth it. Well did you know that replacing your windows can have some of the highest returns when you come to sell your home, reduce energy costs, and create a quick and affordable home makeover?
When does a window need replacing?
Perhaps you’re wondering whether it’s time to update your existing windows. To help you identify when a window needs replacing, here’s a few signs to look out for:
- There’s a draft– if you notice a hot or cold draft in your home, then this may indicate a problem. Air should not be able to enter your home through closed windows, so if it is, then it’s likely that your window seals are worn and need replacing.
- Windows look worn– If you notice things like peeling paint, mold, or splitting wood, then it may be time to replace your old windows. Replacing your windows early will stop further damage and save you money on additional repairs.
- Difficulty closing or locking windows– Windows that cannot be closed or locked properly can be a serious safety hazard. All windows should open and close with ease, and stay open on their own.
- Condensation between window panes– If a double or triple glazed window starts to develop condensation between the glass planes, this means that your windows are no longer insulating as they should.
- Increasing energy bills– If your heating bills seem to be increasing, then this may be due to old windows that need replacing with new, more energy-efficient options.
5 benefits of window replacement
Here are some great benefits of replacing your old windows:
1. Better security
Worn or damaged windows are less secure and more vulnerable to burglars. When replacing your windows, choose solid frames built from durable materials to improve the security of your home. You also have the option to purchase double hung windows that lock while partially open, allowing you to enjoy the outside air and remain safe and secure. Contact a reliable Philadelphia window replacement company to improve your home security.
2. Noise reduction
Your home should be a calm and relaxing place, and the last thing you want is to be disturbed by loud outside noise. Fortunately, you can reduce outside noise by selecting quality replacement windows with durable construction. Correctly installed, high-quality windows will reduce outside noise and improve your home’s privacy. Selecting windows with triple panes of glass further assists with noise reduction.
3. Lower energy bills
Installing new windows is a long-term solution to beat the frustration of increasing energy bills. According to energy experts, replacing your windows can help you save between 7-15% on energy costs each year and reduce your carbon footprint. Energy efficient windows insulate your home in the winter and decrease the need for air conditioning in the summer. This will save you money on energy bills, help manage home temperatures and reduce environmental harm.
4. Improved comfort
Upgrading your windows will help to create a more comfortable living environment by eliminating drafts and outside noise. New quality windows will also offer better UV protection, meaning you can enjoy natural sunlight without damage and fading to your flooring, furniture, and walls. This will help lengthen the life and quality of your home’s interior. When selecting new windows, there are several different types of glass options capable of blocking most of the sun’s damaging UV rays. Look for windows that have Low-E insulating double-pane or triple-pane glass with argon that controls heat transfer through windows and provides added protection from UV-rays – it’s like having sunscreen for your house!
5. Increased house value
The most recent Cost vs. Value Report found that homeowners can expect to recoup 73% or more of the cost when they replace their windows. Updating your windows is a quick and affordable way to transform both the exterior and interior of your home – new windows will appeal more to prospective buys and help to give your home a polished look.
Regardless of the windows replacement option, you choose to go with; you need to ensure that installation is done right. Although it is possible to replace your own windows, it’s generally better to seek the help of a professional if you want the job done right the first time. You should always choose an experienced, reputable window provider who offers a strong warranty program, as well as professional service.
Alec Neufeld is a retired builder, now freelance writer and part-time general fix it man. He has strong opinions on the use of alternate energy and is also an avid sports enthusiast.