How To Remove Mold From A Basement

The cellar is one of the most favorable places for mold. The reason for this is poor ventilation and waterproofing, and as a consequence, high humidity. Many people have already stopped paying attention to the fungus in the cellar. However, these malignant stains on the walls and ceiling should make everyone who is concerned about his health think twice. In addition, if mold gets on the walls, it quickly spreads to the products, which significantly reduces their shelf life. 

Health hazards 

Mold tends to spread quickly. The fact that it covers the entire wall is half the trouble. Mould spores are much worse for humans – they enter the body through the respiratory tract and settle in the lungs, and also get inside through skin, food and hygiene products. That is why mold control is an important hygienic activity. Certain types of mold provoke asthma, headaches, dry coughs and skin rashes. Mold spores enter the lungs, causing allergies and other diseases. 

How to remove mold 

Basement disinfection helps get rid of mold and prepare the cellar for further work to improve ventilation and waterproofing. Low ceiling basement renovations in Aurora are often encountered with sources of mold in the customers’ homes. To remove it, they claim that the basement must be completely cleared out. To do this, you need to remove all the shelving, cans and other items in the basement. Use a metal brush to clean all walls. Be especially careful to do this procedure in areas where mold has appeared. All racks should be dried outdoors. Then treat them with a disinfectant. If the cellar has a dirt floor, remove the top layer of soil before disinfecting. Use sulfur dioxide gas vapor for disinfection. This is the best way to fight mold. Because of its aggregate state, sulfur allows you to get rid of fungus in the hardest to reach places. Before treating the cellar, cover all vents and other outlets. Then set a small piece of sulfur on fire and quickly leave the room, covering the hatch behind you. After ten hours, the room is thoroughly ventilated, and the walls, ceiling and floor are treated with quicklime. 


In order to increase the quality of waterproofing, it is recommended to plaster the walls with an additional layer. It is also possible to equip an additional wall in the basement made of moisture-proof material. The distance between the walls should not be less than 3 cm. It is necessary to drill holes in the “new” walls, so that air can circulate between the walls, and moisture does not accumulate. You may check DIY solutions in a blog about restorations. Another source of mold in the cellar can be the floor. Therefore, you need to carefully monitor the condition of the concrete screed and in time to remove the cracks that have formed. To protect against moisture and fungus, it is recommended to cover the concrete screed with expanded clay or other moisture-resistant material. 

Precautions for treating the room

When treating a cellar, you need to be extremely careful and attentive. Many of the ways to combat mold involve the use of chemicals. In addition, the danger lurks in the mold itself, so do not allow it to come into contact with your skin. When treating the room with chemicals, use a mask and suit. Wear protective clothing, a respirator, or even a gas mask before treating the cellar. Hands should be protected with rubber gloves. Following the mold control measures described above will allow you to get rid of the fungus, and annual preventive measures will prevent the problem from reoccurring. Remember! It is better to prevent the “disease” than to treat it!

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button