A lot of homeowners don’t like the thought of a minimalist home because they feel it’s a boring environment and it doesn’t give them much to do. However, a minimalist home comes with many benefits and it doesn’t have to be so minimal that you need to sit on the floor to eat dinner because you don’t have a table or chairs. Creating a minimalist home isn’t easy, and it takes a big effort to make it perfect, but it can be done by understanding what a true minimalist home is and by following the below tips.
What is a Minimalist Home?
Firstly, it’s important to understand what a minimalist home is so you know what you need to do to create one. There are no rules that state a minimalist home should have this and that, as it’s completely up to you, but as a rule of thumb a minimalist home:
- Is free of clutter and rubbish – This means finding a place for your cookbooks that are just stuffed on top of the microwave. It also means you need to get rid of table clothes and anything else that hides the furniture’s identity.
- Is not filled with pointless furniture – You can get rid of that stool sitting in the corner of the bedroom, you won’t be needing that anymore. The vanity table sitting in the opposite corner of the room, do you use it? If not, chuck it out. A minimalist home only has the furniture it needs and nothing more.
- Has clear surfaces – The main room in the house that will need to have clear surfaces is the kitchen, but any room in the house that has surfaces should only have minimal décor.
- Is simply decorated – A home with no decorations or ornaments would be at its minimalist, but it would also be very boring. It’s important to create the right balance in all rooms by only using simple décor. For example, if you have a kitchen table, it doesn’t have to be completely free of objects. You could have a small vase with a flower in it, for example. Aim for minimal décor that also gives people something to look at.
A minimalist home should be something you wouldn’t mind showing to a potential buyer. If you have a look online at some of the images of a typical property for sale in Marbella, you’ll see they are completely clean and free of clutter – and that’s what a minimalist home should look like.
The Key Benefits of a Minimalist Home
The benefits of owning a minimalist home are endless. Not only will you be living in a stress-free environment that doesn’t have any clutter, but you’ll find it’s much easier to clean, and finding things isn’t going to pose any problems because there will be a place for everything. A minimalist home also looks a lot more modern so you won’t mind entertaining guests regularly who will compliment everything you’ve done.
How Do You Create a Minimalist Environment?
Creating a minimalist home doesn’t have to be challenging work and it’s quite a refreshing job to undertake. It’s not something that needs to be done in one weekend as you can take as much time as needed to perfect it. However, when you do feel like undertaking the work, simply follow these steps and before long you’ll have a minimalist home you can be proud of.
- Concentrate on one room at a time – As stated above, it doesn’t have to be completed in one weekend or even a month, so it gives you a chance to concentrate on perfecting one room at a time.
- Start by thinking about furniture placement – This is one of the hardest parts of minimalizing a room because you’ll want to think about what furniture you want to keep and where you’re going to place it. Take out any furniture you don’t need and only keep the essentials – that way you’ll have more room to work with when it comes to placing it.
- Clear your walls and floors – If you have pictures and art scattered on the walls, it’s important to take it off for now so you can have a vision of where you’d like things. Only keep art and pictures you truly want to keep and store the rest. If you have rugs and other items on the floor make sure you remove those as well, unless they are a clear part of the design.
- Declutter – Now it’s time to declutter and trash anything you don’t need or want any more. It’s important to save as much space as possible so you have a place for everything.
- Clean surfaces – If you’ve got a chest of drawers in your bedroom that’s filled with family photos and the like, completely clear the surface and swap it for a simple vase to give the surface a minimal feel. The same goes for all other surfaces in the house.
- Keep the window areas clear – A minimalistic home looks its best when it has a lot of natural light entering through the windows. Smaller items such as plants and pictures can block some of the light from entering and it just creates horrible shadows that aren’t needed. Make sure you clear your window bays to keep things simple.
- Use simple decorations – There’s nothing wrong with hanging the odd canvas on the wall to stop it from looking bare, but it’s always wise to decorate simply so you don’t overdo it. It’s all about trying to keep all surfaces clear, but at the same time trying to stop them from looking bare.
In conclusion, creating a minimalist home is all about decluttering, getting rid of furniture and items you don’t need, and only keeping the items that are essential. Upon doing this, you will have a minimalist home that looks clean and modern and your family and friends are going to have that instant wow-factor feeling as soon as they enter.